Monday, May 17, 2010

Stops and starts

Well, I finished the 5k at a somewhat respectable pace (31:14).  I probably could have knuckled down and finished even a bit better, but was distracted waving and halloo-ing at all the townfolk I knew in the race and cheering along the course. And slowing by the three glasses of wine I'd had the night before, I should add.

But what a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. I mean, who would think...stubby, lazy me, most at home curled up with a book, in a road race. People, if I can do it, anyone can. I can't wait for the next one, and am considering upping my distance to try for a 10k in the fall. Running rocks for stress, too.

And boy, do we got that. Dad was in the ER again this weekend for very painful digestive issues, and a scan revealed scars on his kidney.  Now, he's never been a drinker, and hasn't got hepatitis that we know of, and his symptoms hardly match liver disease, so we're chalking that up to the "lets not get worked up about this yet" category.  First, he's got to keep food down/in.  Priorities, priorities.  Liver disease?  That can wait until another day.

Their visit next week to give him a break and to start looking at assisted living/dementia care may have to be postponed, which is hugely disappointing and scary, because I really need to get in there and help.  Being a thousand miles away is frustrating, to say the least. One lovely thing is that a dear friend who happened to be in the area stopped by to check in.  The resulting warm feelings will keep us going for days - I know it meant a lot to my parents, too.  One act of human kindness goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment