Thursday, January 28, 2010

The kindness of strangers

Shopping at Trader Joe's today, I noticed quite a few caregiving couples, comprised of a younger relative (or perhaps nurse) assisting a quivering elder with grocery shopping. My friend E. told me that, once his dad fell ill with Alzheimer's, he started noticing these types of couples more and more -- perhaps I'm getting there.

I was reminded of shopping with my mom over Christmas, for a gift for my cousin. Once Mom gets fixed on something she wants, there's no stopping her; this time, she reached up and over another woman to grab at a pair of slipper socks. Thankfully, the woman perused Mom's stoic, glazed expression, and caught my silently mouthed, "I'm sorry." Instead of getting pissed, she pulled me aside and said quietly, "My dad was like that. I know. God bless you."

I had to turn away before I crumpled entirely, but I managed to wring out a smile. Another time, some women waiting to use the lav at a state park let Mom and I go to the front of the line after they saw my desperate expression (and perhaps her sodden pants). People are nice sometimes. Sometimes they're idiots, yes; but Mom seems to bring out the best in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment