Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living yoga

Just got out of another class and, as usual, the wellspring of ideas, good vibes, and sheer life force flows so thick and fast toward the end of the class that I find it hard to relax, let alone meditate, in corpse pose at the end of things. Here's how the runaway thought train goes: "What about taking some before-and-after photos for the blog? Ouch, could be unpretty...Where can I practice headstand at home and not kill myself...must write down what I did right in that balance, otherwise I"ll never be able to do it again...I feel so blissed out!" And so forth.

The upside to being distracted is that it shows I'm obviously thrilled by my re-discovery of yoga. I want to keep the momentum going, and am fairly dedicated to trying to learn about and live a more yogic lifestyle. I've always been an all-or-nothing sort of girl, and find I can only truly accomplish anything when I am totally committed to it. I suspect it's that way for a lot of us.

Therefore, I want to learn about the history of yoga, what the various Sanskrit terms for poses mean and their origin, how to train my mind, how to cook fresh, healthy vegan (instead of relying on endless packs of Tasty Bite Indian beans) and basically do whatever I have to do in daily life to improve in what I think is quite a demanding undertaking. I'm under no illusion that I can dedicate my entire life to becoming a yogi, as was the practice in yoga's beginnings. But I don't think that combining yoga classes with gourmet food, for example, or having a competition in it, is quite the thing. To this novice, yoga seems like more of a cerebral than gustatory exercise, more a stretching of the self than a performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment