Thursday, March 4, 2010

Growing by giving

So, my yoga teacher was saying some profound stuff today -- I still maintain yoga is the most cost effective therapy there is, as well as top notch for glutes tightening. So. She was talking about finding your destiny by living each moment, because change is the nature of being, and about how finding your strengths among these shifting conditions really brings you to another level.

She also said that one way to get the hell out of yourself (emphasis mine) is to give to another, and I have found that to be true. I don't know about you guys, but frankly I'm tired of hearing myself some days. Lots of days. I'm a pain in my own ass, pardon the profanity. But I am. At least with mom I'm doing something, helping someone, and not just echoing in my own stuffy chamber.

I help my kids, of course, and spend most of my waking hours doing so. But somehow with kids there is a bit of a selfish component -- the selfish gene -- promoting your own DNA and all that, plus they are adorable and amusing, being funky little developing beings. With Mom, it's just getting from moment to moment.

I think David Foster Wallace said it best; if you haven't read this commencement speech he gave once, please enrich your life hugely by doing so now. Anyway, per DFW, pictured below:

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment